Sunday 16 May 2010

Clay Day 9 and kiln wiring!

Well, just because I've had a clay day doesn't mean I have to have anything to show for it! And I don't. Quite the opposite in fact.

I was up early today for the electrician so I got going while I was waiting for him to arrive. I added more slip to the plaques and decide to add slip to the squirrel as well. The thing is, this clay fires to a really dark brown colour, and with clear glaze on top, looks even darker. I don't have a brown glaze, so I decided to paint the squirrel with my brown slip (which is lighter than the clay), remembering to give him a white belly. That was fine until I accidentally knocked his feet off!! I think/hope I've managed to fix them back on well enough. We'll have to see when he's fired.

Well, that was the first disaster. This evening I decided to finish off the log with the little bird. I carved the bark and then removed the tubing from inside. I can't leave the tubing in until the piece is bone dry because I'd never get it out! But I thought it was at least dry enough to support it's own weight... It wasn't. It was collapsing at one end and the more I tried to repair it the worse it got! I managed to rescue my little bird, so tomorrow I will have to make him another log to sit on.

And that was my clay day.

On a brighter note, the kiln is now all fully wired in, and so far everything seems fine, the controller has power to it and the light came on on the side of the kiln, so everything is good. I won't be firing it until it's been serviced and the elements have been checked though... just to make sure. Oh, and those "loose bricks" in the kiln? Turns out they're actually broken, but instead of just telling me, the seller decided to prop them in place and say nothing about them. His name is Mr. A. Hole by the way. I'm serious, it really is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be able to simply use some Kiln Cement to repair the broken bricks.
It used to come in a powder form but now comes in a little plastic tub. Shouldn't be a big deal.
Remember to load all your shelves and other kiln furniture with cones on each shelf and do a full test firing to your highest firing temp. That will let you know if you need to adjust any cone offsets in the computer before firing any real work. And make sure you will be there when it gets to peak temp to make sure that it shuts off.

Undaunted said...

Thanks for the advice Scott/Angie. When I have the kiln serviced the man is going to bring some kiln cement for me. There's a brick on the top rim that I already knew about, I'm just annoyed that the seller didn't tell me about the other bricks. I can't reach them either! The kiln is too deep!

The servicing man will check the temperature for me, I believe. But I've taken note of your suggestion just in case :)

Thank you!

Kathy L said...

Keeping my fingers crossed.
k

Undaunted said...

Thank you Kathy :)

Angela Finney said...

Sorry for your run of bad luck. It is strange how you can go backwards by just standing still sometimes.

I hope the service guy helps you out.

Posted more recently on this m--- I do love this birdie.

Undaunted said...

Thank you Angela. I seem to go backwards when I'm trying to go forwards too! I'm glad you like the little birdie :)