Sunday 7 December 2008

Sonnet of the Sea

It's interesting how we all feel connected to different things. For Jafabrit it's trees, for me it's the sea. What do you feel connected to?


Sonnet of the Sea

Barefoot, I stand upon the sandy shore
The wind blows freely through my misted hair
The roaring of the sea fills me with awe
I'm energized, and left without a care

My very soul calls out to the expanse
If I could walk on water, I would run
Oh sea, you have seduced me, I'm entranced
I long for you and I to become one

I fall upon my knees and grip the sand
Just please don't tear me from this place I be
The power of my soul, at your command
If I should leave my life will part from me

But now I'm "home" with no words to convey
Just what it was I found and lost that day

by Linda Dixon




Edit: I hadn't titled this piece until it came to writing this post, and I've just realised my obvious mistake - that this is a Sonnet, not an Ode.

5 comments:

Leanne Pizio said...

Wonderful poem Linda!
In my mind I was there on the beach, with mist in my hair, wind whipping around.
I too love the beach, the salt air, the constant movement and sound of crashing waves.
But it is the mountains that call me home. We have the most amazing mountains in NC. Every time I go to stay for a week or two, when I leave I feel so much like I am being torn from my home.

Anonymous said...

I also love the ocean - maybe it's the Pisces in me? When I lived in Maine, I would sometimes just go to the shore and watch the waves crash onto the beach, the birds flit about in the waves and it had such a calming, centering feeling for me.

Now that we're not near the ocean, I make do with the mountains, but it's not the same...Maybe sunsets?

Undaunted said...

Thank you Leanne!

I've never really been to any mountainous areas. I mean, technically we lived on a mountain when I was younger, but it just seemed like a big hill really :) My brother lives near mountains in Norway, but I haven't been there yet.


Cynthia, I read somewhere that it's very good for us to walk on wet sand and paddle in the sea, and I've always had that feeling that I am drawing up energy through my feet. When we lived nearer the sea I used to go there in all weathers and all times of the year. I really crave it sometimes, mostly when I'm feeling run down.

Kathy L said...

So much talent! I feel connected to dance. I wanted to dance so bad when I was little but never was allowed. THat is OK because I found other interests but now all three of my children dance and I am loving it. I am blessed.

k

Undaunted said...

Thank you Kathy.

Yes, I used to love dancing too, and gymnastics. I can't imagine how wonderful it must feel to have your own children develop a passion for something you love - I know how I feel when my nephew wants to draw me pictures! I feel so proud - you must feel ready to burst!