Wednesday 6 February 2008

The Screams - Part One

.



I originally intended this piece to be part of the Violent Death series. Like the other paintings in the series, this should have been painted in grey and red – the red being used as blood spatter across the canvas – but a friend of mine took a liking to this piece before it was finished, and on her request I decided not to include the blood, and she now has it hanging in her home. I feel that without the blood spatter this piece takes on a different meaning, and indeed this piece meant something completely different to my friend than what I had intended. For this reason I have labelled this piece as Part One. I may or may not paint Part Two with the blood spatter at some point. This will give me the opportunity to improve the position of the crouching person.

I still have another three ideas for paintings in the Violent Death Series, but even before completing this piece I had begun another couple of paintings with very different subjects. I’m sure I will return to this theme to complete the series, but for now I feel the time is right for me to explore different subjects and colours, especially as I am feeling happier now, and less angry!

My 4th painting, completed on 31st January. Acrylic on canvas, 50cm x 40cm.

4 comments:

jafabrit said...

I like the sense of isolation in this piece.

Undaunted said...

Thank you Jafabrit. I love the fact that I can create a piece that means so many different things to different people, or even give out a message at all.

I intended it to depict domestic abuse as part of the Violent Death series, but my friend saw it as someone trying to shut themselves away from the world and the clouds of depression closing in on them. Either way, the isolation felt is very real.

Thanks for commenting.

andrea said...

Scrolling down this is my favourite piece by far. You're definitely on to something here!

Undaunted said...

Ooh thank you Andrea! Welcome to my blog.

I must admit I'm quite surprised by the reaction I have had to this one. The most unexpected people have told me they like it.

I think I will definitely have to try to repaint this at some point then, as I'm sure I can improve the position of the person. Do the lines in the background work? Or should the graduation be softer? Any tips for improvement are most welcome.

Thanks for your comment.