Tuesday 5 February 2008

Rage

From the series “Violent Death”

I was particularly angry on the day I painted Rage, so I took myself off into the kitchen and got out a knife, a canvas, and lots of red paint!



One friend recently said to me “Why don’t you paint nice things; it might make you feel better?” But being able to express negative emotions in this way does make me feel better! I would recommend it to anyone; it really is great therapy and leaves me feeling much calmer. I have found that after spending some time releasing these emotions in this way I have been able to move on to paint positive subjects.

I don't think that painting such violent subjects indicates that I could be a violent person - quite the opposite in fact. I think this is a constructive way of releasing destructive emotions. It's the ones who always paint happy things that you need to watch out for!

My 3rd painting, painted on 24th January. Acrylic on canvas, 50cm x 40cm.

No comments: