Thursday 21 February 2008

Cloud Nine

Inspiration can come from the most unexpected places. As I watched the TV one night I saw a clip of a programme with blue sky and fluffy clouds in the back ground, and I thought to myself “That cloud looks like a person’s face” – and that was it. I immediately had the idea of clouds in the shape of two people in love about to kiss.




I tried to paint this piece solely from imagination to start with, and I wish I had kept a photo of it for you to all have a good laugh at! As hideous as it was, they probably looked more like clouds than they do here! I decided to paint over it and start again, this time using one of our wedding photos as a guide. I wanted the woman’s head to be tilting away slightly though, and in the photo my head doesn’t, so I found her face much more difficult than his.

One important thing I have learnt from reading other art blogs is that even the most experienced artists ask each other for advice on their pieces from time to time. I’ve been a little stubborn up until now; determined to do it all my own way. But I’ve learnt that asking for advice doesn’t mean I’m no good. I am, after all, just learning. If an experienced artist can be humble enough to ask for advice, then I should be able to as well.

Thank you to Philippa and Anita for your advice on this piece.


Provisionally completed 18th February. Acrylic on canvas, 50 cm x 40 cm.

2 comments:

jafabrit said...

I always ask trusted friends for critiques of paintings I am working on. Sometimes something isn't working for me and I can't figure it out. It takes a fresh eye sometimes to flush out what is going on with a painting.
Even the most negative critiques have value.

Undaunted said...

Actually Jafabrit, it was you I was talking about! I read a post of yours about the painting you currently have as your banner, when it was in it's early stages, and you said how you had asked for some advice. That really struck me. I am learning from you in many ways! Thank you.