Tuesday 13 April 2010

Update on kiln and Freda the head-a

I nearly bought a kiln today. Nearly, but not quite. I've been looking for something that doesn't require a forklift truck to lift it, but has plenty of room inside! A lot of the kilns for sale on ebay were either too big on the outside or too small on the inside.

I went to see a kiln on Sunday and I have been soo undecided since then. The kiln was a great price at £200 but very old and bulky, although still in good working order. It's so hard to resist a bargain! And that's why I have been so undecided. I still can't make up my mind if I am being a snob if I refuse it or impatient if I go ahead and buy it. It's true, it's not very attractive to look at, but I think it's the external size that bothers me mainly, and the weight.

In the mean time I saw a fantastic model on ebay - a top loading kiln with a bigger chamber than any of the others I had seen. But unfortunately I was outbid at the last minute. :(

So now I am trying to be patient. I feel much happier knowing that I have a plan that includes buying a kiln of my own, once the right one comes along. Part of me says I must be out of my mind! But I can't comprehend life without clay now, so it has to be done. :)


As for Freda the head-a (pronounced heed-a, like how they say it up north, so that it rhymes!), look what happened to her!!


She was collapsing under her own weight, so Scott helped me make a dowel.


I cut her head away from the shoulders, and she fitted very nicely on the dowel.


The clay from the shoulders had newspaper stuck to the inside.


I'm guessing this won't be an issue with the clay? Does anyone know? I mean, there's not much paper there and paper clay obviously has paper in it but it still fires the same. I'm hoping it will be ok, because I broke it up into pieces to dry out so that I can recycle it.


Back to Freda, I wrapped newspaper around the dowel...


...and then wrapped clay around it to form part of her neck and the support that will be under her bust.


I'd like to say I did more, but I didn't. I did try to improve the eyes, but it all went horribly wrong. Argh, those eyes!! I'm wondering if I should just move on and leave the eyes for now.


So that's all my news for now. Tomorrow I have my nephew, Lewis 8, coming round to do some painting. Apparently he really loves painting and has been bugging his mum for an easle and canvas!

6 comments:

Kathy L said...

Good for you! I am so glad you decided to go for a kiln. I think it will be a great stress reliever! Can't wait to hear about your "new" kiln when you purchse one. And poor Freda will have to wait for now!
k

Undaunted said...

Thank you Kathy! Yes, I am glad that I am going for a kiln too! I don't really have any other options, but I also feel that I will be able to grow more with my own kiln. I still might go for that old one, I can't decide! It's such a bargain!

Leanne Pizio said...

YAY! Kiln buying. One of the most pleasurable purchases. And when you fire the first time! Christmas!!!!
Good luck finding the one that is the perfect fit.
Freda is beautiful.
the paper should be fine but if it doesn't wholly dissolve you may have problems smoothing the clay. Also of it doesn't dissolve it may cause weak spots where the paper burns out. Maybe let the reclaim sit for awhile...

Undaunted said...

Thank you Leanne! I can't wait for kiln opening day and I haven't even got a kiln yet!

Thanks for the advice on the clay as well. I picked off as much of the paper as I could. Maybe I should have another go before I add the water.

Monique said...

Having your 'first kiln' is so exiting!
i was in the same situation as you are a few months ago.... not a lot of money at hand, wanting a kiln, looking for solutions... thinking about it... etc. etc.
but sometimes live has mysterious ways of helping you out...... when i really decided to go for a kiln things started to happen and within a few months a got my kiln... for free!!!!
It's an oldy and very small but i'm so happy with it!
Who knows, maybe a kiln will come your way too!
just keep that picture of you firing your own kiln in your head and who knows?
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

grtz,
Monique

Undaunted said...

Thank you so much Monique! And welcome to my blog and to blogworld!

You know, I had a look at your 30 year old kiln on your blog and it looks like you are having a lot of success with it! I think maybe I have been a little snobbish wanting a newer model - I am just a begginer after all.

I'm going to call my brother and see what I can arrange with this £200 kiln that I went to see. :)

I'm so happy you popped in today, and I have added you to my blogroll :)