Saturday, 17 April 2010

More kids art, incentive to stop eating chocolate, and I'm ill - again!!

We had a little bit of excitement this week when I had to go to the out of hours surgery with chest pains. I was so worried that I was going to be told I had indigestion and was wasting everyones time! But they took it very seriously and gave me an ECG. Thankfully my heart was fine but I have a chest infection. I was put on a nebulizer for a while, and given anti-biotics, steroids, and an inhaler! I suppose that all sounds pretty normal to you US folk, but in the UK, getting anti-biotics out of a doctor is like getting blood out of a stone! I even asked if it would clear up on its own and they insisted I have them!! And I've never been given steroids for a chest infection before! I have to say, the person I saw was really lovely and very thorough.

But I'm so hungry I could eat a cow. A whole one.

The steroids are making me feel so hungry! Of course it might also have something to do with the fact that my calorie intake has been a lot less this past week due to me giving up chocolate! (Someone fetch the smelling salts for Leanne, I think she's just passed out!)

There are not many things in life that can keep me on the straight and narrow when it comes to chocolate and other goodies - health, weight, even a new dress - they are just no incentive for me at all. But a kiln - now that's different! Scott has told me that if I want to have a kiln I have to save money by cutting out chocolate (on which I would normally spend a small fortune). Suddenly I have found will power that I never knew I had before! I'm also banned from taking the kids out for meals, and expensive bottles of alcohol! Basically, all those unnecessary things that cost a lot of money and are gone before you know it!

So when I picked the kids up on Tuesday we all had a £1 "meal deal" from the chippy and ate it in the car! Hahaha! (Does that sound familiar Leanne?)

Owen (11) isn't really in to art in the traditional sense of the word, but I would still say he's creative. He enjoys computer animations and things like that, so while Lewis (8) and I played with clay, Scott introduced Owen to the world of Flash, and has set him the task of learning it!

Oh yes, Lewis didn't want to paint after all. I know his Mum said that he loves painting and that he wanted an easle and everything, but you know how fickle kids can be, and painting is so last week! So he coil built this bowl instead...


...which blogger has decided to display upsidedown! (Why does it do that??)

7 comments:

leanne pizio said...

OOOHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO!
I did feel a little faint there for a minute....no chocolate? Well, maybe me and Miss Queeny can pick you out some of our favorite chocolate when she comes by next month.
I tell you though, if there is one thing worth giving up chocolate and alcohol, it is a kiln. I am so excited for you!

And I am loving seeing your nieces and nephews work. They are so awesome.

Undaunted said...

The kids pieces are amazing aren't they? I remember making something at school when I was about 8 and it was nowhere near as imaginative! Oh boy, I wish I had a photo of that!

I feel I should point out that I don't drink a lot of alcohol! But if I decide to treat myself to a nice bottle of something it is so expensive. I don't know what prices are like for alcohol in the US but here you would have to spend about £15 or more. I never drink when I go out because I'm always driving. Good job really, cos for £15 I'd probably only get about 3 drinks instead of a whole bottle!

Nu Kua said...

Thanks for stopping by on my blog and for the compliments! :-)

Let's just hope you can soon buy yourself another chocolate-bar, hihi, than you would be firing your own kiln and having some chocolate while it's cooling to pas the time. WHEE!!

Been glazing again today, more glaze testing.
firing tomorrow and maybe some new pics of my 'throwing adventures'.

I'll put you on my blogroll so i can keep up with your creative nieces and nephews too, the are great!

grtz,
Monique

mon1 said...

I'm in total agreement with Leanne. A kiln is way better than chocolate. Besides once you get your kiln you and that dark velvety goodness can renew your relationship. :)

When I had a major lung infection I got all of those things but the inhalers made me vomit. Take all your meds. Somethings it's best not to mess around with.

Hope you get to feeling better soon. I imagine they dr's do dispense antibiotics more easily here, though they are beginning to crack down on that.

Undaunted said...

Thank you Monique, I'm so looking forward to seeing more of your work! I still need to learn how to throw successfully. One day I wil get a wheel! I wonder what I will have to give up for that!


Hi Mona! You almost had me fooled there! I thought I had another new reader!

No, Scott said the chocolate thing has to be for good! But frankly my dear, I don't give a damn! I just want a kiln! (although I feel like I would steal some off a baby tonight!)

I was just so shocked that I was taken seriously about my health - probably for the first time in my life! (and I've had a lot of illnesses) You may remember in December when I lost my voice from coughing, and I lost my sense of smell and my hearing, and also had a perforated eardrum and they still wouldn't give me anything!! So when I said "do I really need that?" and they said "yes, you do" I couldn't believe it!

I've actually felt far worse in the past than I do now, but yes, I'm sticking to doctors orders :)

Kathy L said...

Oh gosh Linda I have been so busy that I have not gotten a chance to stop by... I hope you feel better soooon. As for the kiln...go for it, which ever it you want!
k

Undaunted said...

That's ok Kathy, I know what it's like sometimes. I don't always comment when I read blogs because I often catch up with them in bed on my phone! So it depends how tired I am.

Thank you for the well wishes :)