Sunday 28 March 2010

Day six - excuse my drunken rant

Well, I'm not drunk really, I've just had a drink or two. Home measures, which means no measuring hee hee hee!! It's hard work getting drunk though. I'd be a rubbish alcoholic :)

So, the news I bring you today is that my clay class has been cancelled. Yes, it's true. We had this "thing" called a budget, although I don't take any notice of politics, it's all a load of old tennis balls to me. Anyway, apparently they cut back loads of spending on adult education, and the result is that my class has been cancelled. I don't even know if it's forever or not. I won't know if the class is running in September or not until September, which is like 6 months away.

In the mean time I can't fire or glaze anything, which has kind of left me wondering what's the point in making anything in the first place? But then on the other hand, despite suffering from depression, I can't help being optimistic and thinking that maybe the class will run in September and I can fire everything then. That's all well and good, but it means I can't get anything glazed and fired in time for the exhibition in June, or the open art competition in July.

So what are my options? I'm not sure. I can't afford a kiln of my own, or even the electric to run it. It's very expensive to hire the use of kilns. I doubt if there will be any other clay classes in nearby towns since the budget would have affected all adult learning. I can't join a full time course because I don't have the health, and you also need all sorts of qualifications to be accepted. So basically I'm up the swannee.

As for the 28 day challenge, I want to continue, if for no other reason than to support Kathy. I will try to motivate myself later to get my clay out, and I will post a photo of whatever I make tomorrow with day seven's post.

That wasn't much of a rant was it? OK, here's a little rant - don't move to England because they don't support the arts or sport, which is why we're rubbish at everything, and the roads are full of pot holes.

Edit: Obviously pottery isn't relevant.


This broadcast has been brought to you by Linda, in connection with blogger. Thank you for watching.

Update:
Ok, I've been through the shock, the anger, and the upset, and I hope that now my head is clearing a little. I got Freda out and we just sat and looked at each other for a while. She's got a pretty little face, and I'm happy with how she's turned out so far. I wondered to myself how many challenges she faced during her artistic career. Because, let's face it, that's all this is, isn't it? Another challenge. I didn't ask her because... well, she's clay and she wouldn't be able to tell me (and I hadn't drunk that much!) But I did feel a strange attachment. The sort of attachment that compels me to give Polo a little pat on the head every time I pass him, I suppose. I felt sad to wrap her up and put her away again, like saying goodbye to a friend, but I felt no inclination to work on her tonight. I made some mental notes of what needs changing though, and I feel more confident about this piece now. She spoke to me without saying a word. And now I know what I must do. I must carry on, Undaunted.

11 comments:

Kathy L said...

Oh crap with a capitol C. That really sucks! I wish you lived over here. Where I teach they have a little kiln on site and you could use it! They even teach clay works and such. Damn! Linda...go back to your scketching...You are really good at portraits!

k

Undaunted said...

Thank you Kathy. I even thought about that tonight - going back to drawing, but Kathy, my heart is with clay. It always has been.

jafabrit said...

oh bugger! No wonder you went on a rant.
What about working on clay you can bake at home and work on small things.
That is how I started painting faces on stones, I had no access to my studio, art supplies and easel. It eased my need to work with paint, and opened new avenues for me.
sending a creative hug
corrine

Undaunted said...

Thank you Corrine. I have used oven baked clay before, but I've decided I shall carry on with clay, hoping that the class will run in September. If not, then I'll be stuck with a lot of unfired pieces for a while!

I'm playing with the idea of raku firing in the garden (placing the pots in a metal bin filled with sawdust and setting fire to it!) but I need to learn more about that and it will also mean a change in clay again - the clay needs to be resistant to thermal shock. Although the effects can be beautiful, I've no doubt that it will be limiting in some ways. But it's all experience. I won't give up!

mona said...

Okay that is a huge bummer! Do you have any local art centers where you live?

Around these parts most art centers (basically state funded galleries) usually offer classes but also have all the equipment necessary for anything art. And again around these parts they offer there services for free or little cost to use them. You got anything like that in the UK?

Undaunted said...

Thank you Mona. After lifting myself up off the floor from where I had been laughing so much I decided to research your suggestion! I'm not mocking you, it was a very good suggestion, but I'd never heard of anything like it before. What a lovely idea - an art centre with a kiln, free to use for all budding artists, or a nominal fee at least. It sounds like a dream! They have those in the US? Damn. I live in the wrong country!

As I said, I did do some research, but I can only find privite classes and private studio hire. I have sent out a couple of enquiries though, so we shall see.

Thanks again for your suggestion Mona, I might not have made those enquiries without it.

DirtKicker Pottery said...

What crappy news. I don't know if you ever watch Simon Leach on Youtube. He recently made a small gas kiln. He also does Raku and some sawdust firing.
It's a bummer for sure, but I'm sure, some how you will find a way.
Cindy

Undaunted said...

Thank you Cindy. Yes, believe it or not, Scott and I have even talked about the possibility of building our own kiln! I think bricks come quite cheap, but in this country you can't set up gas pipes on your own, you have to have someone registered to do it, so of course they charge through the roof just because they can. Can you install gas pipes in the US yourself?

But you're right, somehow I will find a way!

Undaunted said...

Oh my goodness Cindy! I just looked him up and he's English!! I also noticed that his kiln wasn't attached o the main gas supply, but to a gas bottle! What a great find! That you so much! I will definitely look into this some more!!

leanne pizio said...

I am soooooo sorry that you lost your class. I wish as I have wished before that we lived closer. I would fire your pieces in a heart beat!!!

I have a raku kiln and would be glad to answer any questions you have. Keep on with your clay! There are many ways to make it work! Let me know how I can help.

Undaunted said...

Thank you so much Leanne, I know you would! And I would trust you to as well. Thanks for your encouragement. I will try!