Friday 17 October 2008

Oh My, Oh My, Oh My!

I can hardly sit still to write this post! I'm having a bit of a visual stimulation rush! Forget the sugar rush, this is something else!

I greatly believe that visualisation can improve performance. Like a kind of "visual practice" rather than actual practice (I used to practice driving in my head and I passed first time). Bearing this in mind and the fact that I have my first lesson on the potter's wheel on Monday, I decided to prepare myself mentally by looking up some basic tutorials on Youtube. It's both interesting and comforting to see how each potter uses a slightly different technique depending on what feels comfortable for him or her. Of course, I can't fully prepare myself for Monday because I have no idea what sort of pressure I will have to apply to stop that lump of clay from flying outwards! Only experience will tell me that!

After watching the following Youtube clip of Anne Webb, you could be forgiven for thinking that clay is as lightweight as marshmallow and that throwing a pot is as easy as making a cup of tea! She makes it look so easy!




So I'm glad I looked up the tutorials because it gives me a better idea of what sort of challenge to expect. Great choice of music by the way Anne!


And then today I received a comment on my last post by Peter Holland. "Who's he?" I hear you cry. I know, I said the same thing, and then I looked up his website. He only designs figurines for the likes of Royal Doulton, Royal Worcester, and Coalport that's all!! How on earth did he come across a beginner like me?!

Well, it was looking at his website that has made my mind go into stimulation overdrive! Tutorials, tutorials - I'm in heaven! It's all free, and better still, he makes you believe you can do it, with little more than the right mindset and determination. "Notice I didn't say anything about fabulous artistic ability or 'formal' training" he says.

Ok, deep breaths Linda, you're hyperventilating. I need to remind myself that I still have a throwing lesson coming up on Monday and I need to prepare my mind for that without becoming distracted. So much to learn, so few hours in a day...

7 comments:

Kathy L said...

WOW and hurray and its about time! How cool to get a comment like that! Gosh will you remember that you know me when you become famous!!!!!!! I am so excited for you! But God only knows that you so deserve it!

k

Undaunted said...

Hahaha! I don't know about that Kathy! - I mean I don't know about the fame! Of course I'll remember you!! Thank you, that is so kind of you to say I deserve it - I feel like my life has just begun this year, at the age of 36! Wooohooo!! :D I just wish I could have the use of a studio EVERY DAY!!

Leanne Pizio said...

Hey Miss UN D,
Congratulations! And you can do it!
I can't wait to hear of your first throwing experience. Just remember to have patience. It does take a little time to get the hang of it. I remember learning to throw and how long it really took for me to get comfortable making just the tiniest of pots. You will do it though! I have all the faith in the world that you will make a wonderful potter.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic - I can feel your energy all the way here in Denver!

I love Anne's video - she does make throwing look like a piece of cake. :)

You are really finding a good groove...

Undaunted said...

Leanne, thank you so much for having such confidence in me!


Cynthia, I love Anne's video too. I watched it with my jaw hanging open. It's just amazing to see the shape forming so quickly before your very eyes!

I feel like I'm finding my groove too. Thank you Cynthia :)

Leanne Pizio said...

Hey Ms Un D,
I tagged you to let us know 7 random and quirky facts about you.
No pressure, only if you want to!
Leanne

Undaunted said...

Ooh... umm... thanks Leanne! (I think!) I shall get to that as soon as I can - everything is a bit of a rush today because I want to get to my clay class early!

I can't believe what you wrote about me! Thank you so much!