Sunday 4 May 2008

Triptych Abstract

I may be painting a few triptych abstracts in the near future, as my sister in law has asked me to paint one for her living room and it has set the creative cogs turning! Sunrise was one of the ideas I had for her, and although it wasn’t what my sister in law had in mind I decided to paint it anyway because I liked the design so much myself! Although a simple design, I think it is my personal favourite painting of mine to date. That being the case, I suppose it was inevitable that I wasn’t going to be entirely happy with anything I painted after it.

This one is slowly growing on me. It came out exactly as I had planned; I just don’t like it as much as Sunrise so I was disappointed when I had first finished it. I’m a little unsure about the shade of green too.


Argh, me eyes! Me eyes!


I’ve been using emulsion paint for these paintings. Originally this was so that I could get a good colour match with my sister in law's colour scheme, but they water down well and they go on well with a sponge applicator. They seem more fluid than acrylics but they’re more opaque than water colours. I also really like the matt finish. It's good to try something a little different now and again anyway. I didn't have any green emulsion so I mixed some white emulsion with green acrylic paint, which is probably why I'm not very happy with the shade because my mixing skills aren't that great yet.


Leaf - matt emulsion on canvas, 40cm x 50cm x 3.

No comments: