Friday 16 July 2010

Little and often

I'm not feeling that great at the moment (so what's new?) but now that I have finally got my clay out I'm trying to get (back) into the routine of having clay time every day. So it seems "little and often" is the order of the day. I made a second swan yesterday.


These are only about 5 1/2 inches in length, and 3 1/2 inches tall. Since making these I have had a lot of other ideas for swan pieces, but I don't want to end up with a table full of nothing but swans! So tonight I made a start on a tortoise. I'm going to make it so that the shell comes off, like a trinket box or something.


As you can see, the head still needs supporting at the moment.


I'm looking forward to glazing this one because I'm going to use that Fuji brown crackle glaze that didn't crack! Last time the glaze came out mottled, but I'm thinking this piece will look good either way. I'm going to paint the shell in brown slip and carve a pattern into it, so that will be fun too! Just out of interest... what do you think about this piece in pink and purple? It's just one of those crazy ideas that passed through my brain during the small hours...

6 comments:

mona said...

I think your tortoise trinket box will be adorable. I also like your swans. Smaller sells better but do some big pieces too when you're "feeling it" Big is what grabs people's attention from across the room even though small is most likely what they take home. Anyhow that's how it works with my stuff usually.

Just keep going girl you're doing great!

Undaunted said...

Thank you Mona! And Thanks for the advice too :)

Kathy L said...

I think the wild colors could grab teens or mums of teens! Linda, despite feeling ill, I think you are such an inspiration. The swans are lovely.

k

Undaunted said...

Thank you Kathy, you're so kind and you say such lovely things :) Hmm... I might have to do some wild coloured tortoises!!

Kathy L said...

Linda, dear Linda,
I say lovely things because they are true. You are good enough! You are talented, you are....

k

Undaunted said...

*blushes* Thank you Kathy :)