Monday 23 November 2009

The Exhibition - lots of photos!

Well, it's all over, and yes, I did manage to get to the preview evening after all. My silly virus has been very up and down, feeling like nothing more than a cold one day and then flu the next, so my sister very kindly collected my unsold pieces on Sunday evening. I say "unsold pieces", but that would be all of them! I didn't sell anything this time, but I'm not put off by that. Once again it was a great learning experience. The organiser (whose name I don't remember), was very encouraging and said that there was a lot of interest in my work but that people are more likely to buy when you have more pieces on display and have become more established, so he said to definitely come back next year. My table did look a little empty this year...


My dear friend Jeanne really liked my Ivy vase and Swan, but since she has arthritis in her hands she wouldn't have been able to carry either. (Note to self: make a smaller Ivy vase and Swan!)

Personally, I didn't think the standard was as high as it has been in previous years. That's not to say that there wasn't some beautiful pieces, and probably there were other exceptionally painted pieces that just didn't catch my eye for whatever reason. We all have different tastes. I know Jeanne and I have rarely agreed on pieces when we have come to Pytchley together before!

There definitely wasn't as many pieces as there have been previously either.

Of course, the first pieces to catch my eye were those of Stella Benford:


I don't know why that always happens. There's just something about her work that I absolutely love. This piece is made of clay and then set in a frame:


I totally love the beautiful colours in this one. I'm terrible for noting artists names though. Sorry about that.


I thought this one was beautiful. Sorry Mona, but there was only one horse painting that I could see, and it was no where near the standard of yours or Angela's. I hope this wolf satisfies you both!


Some of the paintings I like may seem like unusual choices. I don't know what attracts me to certain pieces sometimes, but for this one, it was the texture.


Again, I don't know why I like this one, I mean, it's a bunch of people standing around! But I love the colours.


Ok, I'm a sucker for winter scenes...



And this one is for those of you who love all things needle craft!


This little painting caught my eye because it looked like it was painted onto slate. It's only when I touched it I realised it was canvas.


Anita loved this seascape for it's crispness and colours.


Of course, being a village affair there were plenty of jams and pickles for sale, and even "Pytchley Honey"!


I thought these beehive candles were cute.


By the time I arrived for the preview evening, this table had been set up. It wasn't there in the morning when I had set up my pieces. Suddenly, the green eyed monster appeared!!



There's no getting away from it, the pieces are lovely and displayed beautifully. How could I compete with that? Interestingly this has been a topic on Mona's blog recently. Does the success of one artist have to mean the failure of another? I questioned one of the ladies about how they produce their items. She must have thought I was interested, but no, I was just weighing up the competition! I felt relieved once she told me that these are all made in moulds. I felt superior somehow, because my pieces are all hand built. How awful of me. I'm the first to admit that there are certain aspects of my personality that I have to work on. I don't know why I'm confessing all of this because it doesn't make me any nicer just because I'm open about it! I have to give credit where it is due, the pieces were decorated and glazed beautifully. Well done ladies. I hope you had some sales. Next year I'm going to get me some of that lovely satin material you used for your table!

And that's just about it. There were some artists who have exhibited here in previous years who didn't take part this year, and they were missed, by me at least. I look forward to next year!

5 comments:

jafabrit said...

sorry to hear that you are struggling with a virus (such a drag isn't it). I enjoyed your post, and your honesty. I think your feelings are natural, it's like seeing embroidery from a kit and machine done as opposed to doing your own design and hand embroidering it. The creativity and skill levels are different. I am glad you didn't let lack of sales get you down, and if it's any consolation I hardly have any sales. Since I decided to no longer stress over the business side of art and sales my ability to focus on the practice of making art is so much better.
Have a GREAT holiday season, and keep well.
ps. I enjoyed seeing all the photos. loved the owls and I too like the winter scenes.

mona said...

Personally I think you have a right to feel a little superior about your work being hand built. I mean unless they created their own molds from an initial piece of art that they created, your work definitely has more of you in the making of it. And requires more skill to get it done.

So good to see Swanee and Polo again. I can get a sense of scale seeing them next to your other works.

Hope you get to feeling better soon. :)

Undaunted said...

Thank you Jafabrit. I hope you are starting to feel a bit better now too. I feel like this virus has been dragging on forever! I see your point about the embroidery. Maybe I'm not so mean after all! Like you, I'm trying not to get hung up over sales, I just want to keep improving, and I still have so many ideas! I think if I worried about sales (or lack of them) I would lose heart and get depressed and not want to create anymore. Thanks Jafa, hope you have a great time with your family over the holiday season.


Thanks Mona! Maybe superior wasn't quite the right way of explaining it? I was just so relieved that really what we were offering were two different things. Mine were hand built and glazed simply, theirs were made from molds but the painted detail was lovely. (They didn't make their own molds, I asked!) My sister saw Polo for the first time in the flesh at the exhibition. She was surprised at the size. I suppose it is hard to get sense of scale from a photo.

Angela Finney said...

Hi, coming in late. Thanks so much for your exhibition tour. I feel like I was there with you. I am not usually crazy about abstract art, but the one you show here, I really find appealing. The wolf is good, thanks for your compliment!

At first glance, I can see how the molded ceramics were attractive -- but I do not think they belong in a fine art exhibit. What you do is handmade artisan work, theirs is not. I do not think you need an attitude correction. I do not think that your exhibit is any smaller than the mold ceramics display. Putting things at different heights with some boxes/pedestals under the cloth could add some pizazz to your display. I think your pieces are lovely -- I see alot of improvement from last year in your variety, size, and perfection (no crack worries this year).

Thanks again for your absorbing, honest, and lovely blog post.

Undaunted said...

Hi there Angela! Better late than never! That's what my school teacher always used to say!

I'm glad you liked the abstract. I know what you mean, it's not everyone's thing, but I thought the colours in this piece were beautiful. You know, after writing this post I kept looking at the wolf and thinking "is it a wolf?" I suppose I should have read the label!

Thank you Angela for your lovely comments. They definitely had more pieces than me, but I shall catch up by next year, and as you say, try to add a bit of pizazz!! :D